Detecting transmission problems early can be a lifesaver (and wallet saver) for Haltom City drivers. That’s why it’s important for every driver to know the warning signs of transmission damage and wear. To help Haltom City drivers spot these issues, the team at Multistate Transmission® Haltom City has compiled the following list of common transmission repair warning signs.
7 Signs for Transmission Repair or Service
If Haltom City drivers spot any of the following signs, they should bring their vehicles to a transmission repair as soon as possible:
- Fluid Leaks. Transmission fluid cools and lubricates your transmission. When your car is leaking fluid, it means more friction and heat on your transmission’s components, a recipe for major damage. Luckily, if you detect a fluid leak early, it may only requires a minor repair and fluid change.
- Burning Odor. Overheated transmission fluid will produce a burning smell, signaling that your transmission is far hotter than it should be. This can be caused by low fluid levels or dirty fluid. It can also mean your transmission has suffered serious wear or damage.
- Dirty Fluid. If you perform your own transmission fluid checks, dirty or cloudy fluid signals the need for servicing. Fluid checks should be performed monthly, and if you don’t feel confident performing them on your own, the team at Multistate Transmission Haltom City will be happy to help.
- Unusual Noises. Automatic and manual transmissions often produce different noises when they are damaged. You might hear a whining, humming, or whirring noise if you change gears while driving an automatic transmission. Manual transmission drivers will hear strange mechanical noises or clunks.
- Bad Gear Shifts. If you’re having trouble shifting from Park into Drive or from neutral into one or more gears, your transmission needs inspecting. Sometimes this just means a simple delay before the engine “catches,” while other times it means your car refuses to go into gear.
- Slipping Gears. One common sign of transmission damage in manual vehicles is gear slippage. While driving, your engine may slip out of gear and go into neutral. This can be a big safety hazard, so it’s important to have your vehicle inspected as soon as possible.
- Check Engine Light. A warning light on your dashboard can be triggered by a transmission problem. A professional inspection and computer diagnostic check at Multistate Transmission Haltom City will pinpoint the issue and comes at zero charge.
Haltom City’s Transmission Repair Experts
The technicians at Multistate Transmission Haltom City are your local transmission repair experts. If you notice any of the above issues in your car, we can diagnose the issue and give you a full written estimate for repairs with a free Performance Check from our technicians.
Call us to schedule your vehicle’s FREE Performance Check with Haltom City’s transmission repair experts.